Cinquante the Label is a contemporary Adelaide-based jewellery brand created by Jane Edwardson in 2013. Formals Magazine spoke to Jane about her jewellery range and the biggest trends in jewellery this year. Keep reading for the full interview;
• What made you want to start a jewellery label? How did it come about?
From a young age I was drawn to all things sparkly, as most little girls are, always trying on my mums jewellery and that of her girlfriends when they came over. I dabbled in silversmithing post school and that gave me the formational know-how and thereon I always designed my own pieces of jewellery, but had someone else make them as I never felt I could perfect the skill.
Cinquante came about from the encouragement by friends and family to develop my own range during the “time off” I had after having my daughter Ella. I saw space in the market for affordably priced fine jewelry. I wanted anyone to be able to afford a keepsake piece of jewelry without breaking the bank, or having to wait for a significant birthday. I also wanted those pieces to have that extra special feeling and therefore decided to only produce 50 of each design, and every piece is handmade.
• How would you describe your label’s style in three words?
Contemporary, Elegant, Quirky.
• How would you describe your own personal style?
All over the shop! I appreciate the understated, I like the classic tailored look, but I love a stand out glamour outfit… however I spend most of my days in my converse and jeans.
• Where does the inspiration for your jewellery designs come from? Do you have any main inspirations?
I watch the fashion trends around the world, I also draw a lot from architecture and interior design… I have been known to be inspired by artwork, wallpapers and ceiling roses… I also have a thing for 8’s, hence the octagon in Cinquante’s logo which I like to incorporate in my designs where possible.
• What would you consider to be the biggest trends for jewellery currently?
The necktie and statement earrings, loving both!
• Do you have any tips/advice for girls accessorising for their formals?
A statement piece can make an outfit, whether it be simple or bold. Choose depending on what your dress will allow, so earrings / necklace / arm piece, just one, don’t overdo it.
• In your opinion, how important is jewellery in regard to the look and style of an outfit?
Be it costume or precious jewels, the right accessories can really make an outfit, and can reinvent an old outfit too. Nothing can add oomph to your wardrobe like jewellery!