NO GLOSS, NO WORRIES
5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MATTE LIPSTICKS
Matte1 adj. (of a color, paint, or surface) dull and flat, without a shine.
Matte lipsticks are all the rage this season. Maybe it’s the way the easy to wear shades can be taken from day to night, the luxurious vibe it brings to an outfit or quite possibly the fact that it is Kylie Jenner’s go-to lip finish. Whether you are opting for a delicate lip or a harsh pout, matte lipsticks are your soon to be new best friend. With this years release of Kylie Cosmetics and the wondrous shades 19-year-old Kylie Jenner has created, now is a better time than ever to get your hands on a matte shade. Don’t let a failed attempt at the race for a Kylie lip kit on restock day get you down, look to trustworthy brands MAC, Stila, Nars and Clinique.
What is matte lipstick you ask? A matte lipstick is one that, once applied, dries with no gloss or shimmer. It is often paired with lip liner for a supported, more structured shape and appearance. Matte lipstick is bold and is like a good pair of jeans, a must have that can be carried out through all seasons of the year. Before making your first purchase, read on to see why matte lipsticks are all the rage.
- Enhancement: If Kylie Jenner’s Instagram feed and countless Snapchat’s have taught us anything it’s that matte lipsticks not only create a larger looking pout but accentuate your best features (including eyes and eyebrows). The set in colour can be seen from a far and upholds it’s flawless finish in photos with and without flash #nofilter.
- Statement: Gloss and shimmer-surfaced lipsticks appear thin and fragile. Matte lipsticks on the other hand appear thick and bold. Think about an object coated in gold paint and another gold plated, this is the difference between gloss and matte. When applied correctly, the lipstick in just one coat highlights the shape of lips large and small providing them with a high definition pout. Their ingredients are rich in pigment and silica, which happens to be a filling agent (the reason behind the full pout it upholds once applied).
- Versatile: Day to night. Light to dark skin tones. Winter to Summer. Matte lipstick is your go-to.
- Celebrity Approved: It is no wonder Rihanna has been keeping matte lipstick a secret for so long. The 28-year-old singer opts for the flat shade with her simple and most elegant outfit pieces. Throw it back to her Zac Posen 2015 look. Jessica Alba, Mila Kunis, Gigi Hadid, Jordan Woods and Lorde are fans of the recently discovered make up trend.
- Lasting wear: If the previous pros were not enough to make you run for the nearest cosmetics store, you must now know that matte lipsticks are extra long lasting. Once applied and dried the liquid will stick to your lips until your night time face regimen begins. We guarantee that when wearing your favourite matte lipstick, you will always be ready for a photo. No smudge. No teeth stains. No re- applying.
Your cosmetic bag is screaming for a matte lipstick. Give in to the trend, it is well worth it.